Not a member yet? Register now and get started.

lock and key

Sign in to your account.

Account Login

Forgot your password?


30 Sep Posted by in Blog | Comments Off on Ripped

So, this week started off with a bang.  It was Monday morning and I was trying to catch up with all the things that needed doing. Lincoln was peering out the dining room window and all of the sudden, he was at my feet, screaming, flat on his face.  I picked him up and blood gushed out of his mouth.  At first, I took a deep breath and reminded myself that mouth wounds always look gorier and bloodier than any other.  I pulled out the paper towels and went through six of them very quickly.  At this point, I was late picking up Anjali from preschool.  So, I strapped Link into his car seat and begged Elli to quickly get her shoes on.  I kept more paper towels nearby and checked on Lincoln one more time before I left for the preschool.  I gingerly lifted his upper lip, only to find a massive hole above his gums, and another tiny one to the right.  My stomach curled in on itself as I dialed the pediatrician. The nurse I spoke with suggested that I bring him in (of course.)  I just wanted to make sure that everything was okay.  Luckily, Dovy was able to come with me.  Turns out, Link ripped his frenulum (the piece of skin that connects the lip to the gums) right off of his gums.  It left that gaping hole and a lot of blood.  The doctor said that they don’t do stitches in the mouth, but to just leave it alone so it could fuse back together.  It has made for a fussy Lincoln, which is quite out of the ordinary for him.  He’s a trooper, though.  He’s still nursing fine, it’s just hard to get solids in him.  I have seen a big improvement since last week, though.  He looked like he got in a big fight because his upper lip was so swollen.  Poor little dude.

Lincoln has also learned his first “word,” apart from “mama” and “dada.”  Go figure that it’d be “no.”  He’s been shaking his head for several months already, but this week he added a resounding, “Nah!”  Big smile included.  He’s also started signing (more, all done, milk) clapping, and waving goodbye.  He’s stopped trying to walk all together, which I am fine with.  He can still walk while holding onto things, though.

The girls are doing really well.  They absolutely love dance and school (Preschool and Joy School.)  This week, I am in charge of teaching.  It’s going to be a little crazy because I’m also trying to plan Link’s one-year birthday party.  I have a lot to do!

On top of that, I don’t think I’ve mentioned that I’m taking three classes.  I started a photography class a few weeks ago.  I’ve always wanted to learn how to really use my camera.  I’m really enjoying it, but have had to ask a whole lot of questions.  I’m also taking two online classes to help renew my teaching license.  (Yeah, I told a lot of you that I wasn’t going to do that, but I recently found a way to do the requirements online and I’d really rather not let it run out.)  They’re really breeze classes, except there is a lot of busy work.

I’m doing too much again…